September 27, 2007

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder

This is a difficult question to answer! I'm cheating by choosing a series. I love these books for their grace and simplicity. Laura captured the beauty, dangers and challenges of life on the American frontier, and also the complexities of the settlers' relationship with the Native Americans they displaced - all through a child's eyes. I grew up with these books and think of Laura as an old friend, so much so that I named my daugher after her.

Chosen by
Anne Coughlin
NH Humanities Council
Concord, NH

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Ann,

I grew up with the "Little House" series. I also named my daughter Laura. To me she portrayed the strength and beauty of a women. I hoped my daughter would have the same independence. She does!

Jessie
Gilford Public Library